The Authentic Foynes Irish Coffee Recipe
Irish coffee has traveled the globe, and its preparation has evolved as it passes across different regions of the world and from person to person. But you can still make it as it was originally made right here in Foynes by its inventor, Chef Joe Sheridan.
The Original Irish Coffee Recipe
- Step One: Preheat your Foynes Irish coffee glass by filling it with boiling water for 5 seconds, then pour the water out.
- Step Two: Add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and a good measure of Irish whiskey into the warmed glass.
- Step Three: Fill the glass to within 1 cm of the brim with hot, strong black coffee. Stir well to dissolve all the brown sugar.
- Step Four: Carefully pour lightly whipped cream over the back of a spoon so that it floats on top of the coffee
- Step Five: Do not stir after adding the cream; optimal flavor comes from drinking the coffee and Irish whiskey through the cream.
Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy your traditional Irish coffee! Or, as we say in Ireland, Slainte!
Travel back to the 1930s and ’40s, when Foynes played a pivotal rol...Learn More
The River Shannon—Abhainn na Sionainne in Gaelic—is Ireland’s longe...Learn More
Irish Coffee Masterclass
Group tours will receive a Masterclass in making the original Irish...Learn More